Saturday, May 14

Grandma meets her 4th great-grandchild.

We went to visit my Grandmother today. She's 92 years old and just went into a nursing home from living on her own in an apartment. I've felt very guilty about not getting up to see her sooner because she only lives about and hour and a half away. But I'm glad we got to see her and she was thrilled to see baby A. She's not doing well physically, but is sharp as a tack. She doesn't really like the nursing home -- who would? and says that moving there has been the hardest thing that she's done in her entire life. In her entire life.

We just really don't treat the elderly in our society right. She's lived 92 years, has a huge wealth of wisdom and experience, and is ending up her life sharing a hospital-like room with someone else. I'm not saying that we will do anything different with our parents either, but it's sad.

Grandma was talking about how her 91 year old sister is still driving and living in her 4 bedroom house. But she (the sister) has 3 daughters and one daughter-in-law who's like another daughter to look out for her. Grandma had two sons. You see where I'm going with this. . . maybe we do need to have more kids. I need me some daughters to take care of me when I'm old.

1 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Christi said...

Huh, never thought of that one. Maybe I'm now even happier that I'm having a daughter! My mom should be glad for me, b/c if it were left up to my brother, he would dump her out in the ghetto and let her deal with it on her own! It does make me sad about the state of nursing homes and the like. I didn't realize how bad they were. One day my mom was on a mad search for some special name-brand pants that someone in my distant family wears. She said they had to keep replacing them b/c they are nice, and the people at the nursing home won't stop stealing them from him! THEY STEAL THE MAN'S PANTS!!! How sick and sad is that? It really kinda stung a little bit when you said the whole hardest thing ever in her life thing, b/c that's quite a life, which includes living through a bunch of world wars, the Depression, and the like. I can't imagine those times were easy, so that says a LOT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home