Friday, May 6

Is Daniel a ninny, too?

I had parent-duty at parents-morning-out today which means I got to spend the morning not only with my toddler, but with three others for three hours in a small room. Plus, the baby who didn't want to eat because he was too excited about watching the big kids play. It's pretty cute though. No wonder the second children tend to do things earlier -- they love to watch everything the older ones do. You can almost see Andrew straining to get up and run after Daniel.

The paid person for parents-morning-out is an au pair from Brazil. She's very nice and friendly and good with the kids. Every Friday, she tries to do a craft with them. The first Friday that I had parent-duty last fall, I must have looked at her like she was crazy when she started pulling out the paint. Paint?! What?! Don't you know that two-year-olds are just going to drink it and smear it all. over. everything?! Well, it turns out that some of them actually sit and participate in craft time. She ends up doing a lot of it, but they are pretty good about sitting there. Painting, in fact, goes pretty well most times.

There is one child, however, that none of this crafting activity has caught on with. And that's my child. How can I sit down and do crafts when there are all these trucks and cars and trains and tractors to find in the toy bins? What are they thinking? I was asking her (the au pair) about Daniel's non-participation today. She didn't want to come right out and say anything, but as we talked she started telling me about her brother-in-law who was "hyper" and always talked about the difficulties he had sitting still and paying attention in school.

Anyway, I don't know if Daniel is "hyper" or not, but it will be interesting to see how he does in preschool which he starts two mornings a week this fall. It wouldn't really surprise me too much though if he does have ADD tendencies, as I've been recently found to have some ADD. J just refers to it as me being a ninny -- losing stuff, forgetting stuff, not being able to prioritize or organize, etc. Don't worry though, we aren't going to run out and put him on ritalin* or anything like that. It's just one of those things that you notice about your child and wonder about.

*not that there's anything wrong with that if that's what has been determined to aid your child.

1 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Christi said...

I wouldn't think too much of it right now. Most little kids are hyper like that, and some are just a little more. I think too many kids are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, and don't really need to be. I taught special ed, and we learned a lot of strategies you can use in place of the drugs to teach kids and keep them under control. One thing I would suggest you do, though, if you can't get him to sit down during calmer times is to let him do something VERY active before that time, and get some of his energy out. That not only wears him out some, but the adrenalin gets his mind working better. Just a thought...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home