Sunday, April 3

Help. I hate our cat!

As some of you know, we lost both of our kitties within one month last fall. They were 10 1/2 years old. In November, we adopted a one-year old cat from the animal shelter. According to them, she had been a stray for pretty much her whole life. She is driving us crazy. She's always begging for food (and we feed her a lot). She won't stay off the kitchen table, counters no matter how much we push her off, yell at her, spray water at her. She'll get right up on the table while we are eating and lay down. Argh. She's been pooping outside the litterbox whether it's clean or not. She pees on the living room couch and who knows where else. Argh. She scratches the furniture. She has scratched the baby a couple of times when she tries to play with his feet as he's sitting in his bouncy seat.

DH keeps saying we should take her back to the shelter. She got out of the house this weekend through an open window, and I wasn't really concerned. I've thought about letting her go outside some, thinking maybe this might calm her down a bit, but I'd feel awful if something happened to her (i.e., she got hit by a car or got lost or something).

With a two year old and a baby, I totally don't need the hassle. But Daniel and she are buddies, kind of. He likes to chase her and lay on her and hug her, etc. She seems to tolerate it until he gets too rough. Then she'll run away. I'd probably want to take her back, too, but there's that.

And, I know this is probably stupid, but I'm afraid the shelter wouldn't let us adopt from there in the future or will think badly of us. When you adopt a cat from there, you agree not to let them be outside cats. In our application, I said that I wouldn't give up an animal unless my kids were allergic or something like that. The cat is microchipped, so they'll be able to figure out where she came from if we gave her back anonymously. And we paid 90-frickin-bucks for her, none of which we'd get back. I don't know if they'd let us put that toward another animal. I like having a cat around, but one that isn't such a pest.

What would you do?

2 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Procrastinating perfectionist said...

I remember when I adopted a cat from a shelter, they told me if for whatever reason the cat did not make it in my home I could bring her back and take a new cat home. Don't feel guilty, sometimes things don't work out with animals. They have personalities and not always nice ones! You have 2 kids too, so you have enough to deal with than to deal with poop outside the litterbox or pee on the carpet where the baby will play. Don't feel guilty. Seriously. I love animals alot but when it comes to destructive ones, forget it!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Kimberlee said...

Like I posted on MT, you know my story with our cat. I'm sure there's a better cat out there for you somewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home