Monday, August 1

*sigh*

Do you ever feel like you are just teetering on the edge?

Today was one of those days for me. I hope it's better tomorrow.

Daniel got sick at the end of last week with a pretty nasty sore throat. His tonsils are huge and we spent the weekend trying to get him to eat. We'd offer him his favorite foods and he'd yell, "No! No! No!" and begin to cry as if we were forcing him to swallow nails. We'd pump him up with some Tylenol and then try again. Poor little guy. We were worried it might be strep, but couldn't really do anything about it over the weekend. His fever was pretty high for the first couple of days, but has gone down.

This morning, we all got up and out of the house in order to go to walk-in hours at one of the pediatric practice's other offices. Our ped doesn't have walk-in hours. Well, it turns out that the walk-in hour is only for the pediatricians at that particular office.

I spent the next three hours repeatedly calling our pediatrician's office to try to get an appointment for today. But their computer was down, so they couldn't make any appointments. They knew they had openings today, but had no idea when.

The difficulty in getting into see the doc began to outweigh my concern about whether Daniel really has strep or not. He was eating better today and even eating without having had a dose of Tylenol. So I finally just asked to speak to the nurse. She advised us to wait another day or so. So, we'll see.

It was more frustration than I was prepared to deal with on a Monday morning. Plus, Daniel was clearly feeling well enough to be a frickin' pain in my ass. When do toddlers get out of the "throwing mom's shit on the floor stage"?

Andrew's teething and constipational problems continue to make him unpredictably crabby. He's into arching his back now to show his displeasure / discomfort. I can see him getting more and more independent every day.

And finally, there were the ants. Our kitchen is overrun with ants and we can't seem to stay ahead of it. They were all. over. the counters this morning and on the floor. We've been battling them since the spring this year. It doesn't help that we have a toddler who enjoys stuffing whole muffins in his mouth and then laughing as big chunks fall out onto the floor. Please tell me when the stuffing things in your mouth phase ends. He stuffed a whole piece of American cheese in his mouth today and then chewed it a little and opened his mouth and let it fall out. Nice. Let's just say that he went down for his nap a little earlier today. Mommy needed a break.

One saving grace, however, was that Andrew went down for his second nap so easily. I put him in his crib, turned on the music and left the room. A few minutes later, both he and I were sound asleep.

1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Christi said...

Oh, sleep! I'm so jealous! Haven't had much of that lately! I totally feel your pain. My little toddler is being a total ass lately, and I'm not sure why. I mean, yeah, new sister, but...he really enjoys pushing my buttons, and that is just not cool for me! I hope they calm down some soon, and that your little one feels better! We're all sick here, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home