Monday, January 17

Why can't I finish things?

Does anybody else have this problem? I start things -- crafts, cleaning projects, etc -- but get almost done and then stop. Take for example last night. I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. I cleared the table and loaded the dishwasher and wiped down the table and the counter. All that was left to do was put soap in dishwasher and handwash a couple of things. But I just quit, walked away, got sidetracked with something else. I'll finish this up in a little while, I thought. Why not just go ahead and do it now and it'll be done?

I decided to make flannel sheets for the bassinet pad. I made one and started on the 2nd, but it remains unfinished. I got to a point where I didn't know the best way to finish a particular edge, so I just let it go.

I am also making a simple baby blanket out of a piece of flannel, blanket-stitching around the edge. I've made it almost all the way around with the blanket-stitching. I have a couple of little ends I need to tie off and then it's done, but it's been like that for two weeks (yes I have a new baby, but this will take just a couple of minutes.) Why can't I just finish it?

I do this all the time. I do part of the vaccuuming and then leave the vaccuum out to finish later, but never do. Why is it so hard to finish something to completion? I think it has something to do with being disappointed about how it's turning out, i.e. it's not perfect. That ugly perfectionism rears its head. But why can some people be perfectionists, but still seem to get stuff done.

And there's something I don't like about that "what's next" moment after you finish one project. Well, what do I do now? I'm not very good at making decisions.

Or maybe I'm just kinda lazy.

1 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Kimberlee said...

I'll make you feel better here. Heh.

I started a quilt with a friend back in 2001. Nothing fancy - simple piecing and blocks. It sat in my closet for 2 1/2 years until I found someone to machine quilt the thing. Okay, friend has now moved to St. Louis. She's offered to bind it for me since I've never done it before. All I have to do is mail it. That was in summer 2003. Have I mailed it yet? Uh... no.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home