Wednesday, March 9

schooling the med students

Well, it looks like everyone's favorite monthly cycle is returning already, which seems really early. Daniel was born in March and by September (or was it August), I still didn't have it. I remember this well because I got my appendix out then. Nothing like an emergency trip to the hospital in the middle of the night with a 6 month old. Anyway, it must have been a slow night because there seemed to be a lot of med students or residents gathered around. I had already answered this a couple of times, but one of them asked me when the last time I had gotten my period was. "June 2002," I said. I could see a puzzled look in their faces. I guess they hadn't gotten to the part about breastfeeding suppressing menstruation. So, I explained that I'd had a baby in March and was still nursing him. Another highlight of that night was when they were examining me and at that point I was throwing up and hadn't had any pain medication yet. They wanted to rule out ovarian torsion or something like that, so they wanted to do an internal exam. The med student/ resident was explaining this to me and said, "So, do you mind if we do a va*ginal exam?" Uhm, yes I mind. That's about the last thing I want right now. I said no, but was overruled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home